One of my favorite flavor combinations involves salted caramel, pretzels, and lots of chocolate. I decided to add some ice cream and a little bit of milk and came up with the idea for these Chocolate Covered Pretzel and Salted Caramel Milkshakes.
They’re salty because of the pretzels and salted caramel and sweet because of the ice cream and chocolate. They’re also super creamy and decadent, and a great way to cool down on a hot day.
The salted caramel only takes four ingredients: water, sugar, salt, and heavy cream. You’ll start by stirring together the water, sugar, and salt in a nonstick pan. Keep a close eye on it, but don’t stir it as it cooks. Once it turns a light amber brown color, you’ll turn down the heat, add in the the heavy cream, and mix it as it cooks for just a few more minutes.
You’ll take the caramel off the heat and pour it into a heatproof bowl. Once it is slightly cooled, carefully drizzle it into each glass with a spoon to create a design. If you need to, you can pop it in the microwave for a few minutes to warm it back up. You’ll have some extra caramel leftover, so there is plenty if you want to drizzle a little extra into each glass or snack on some.
Next, you’ll get start on making the milkshake by creaming together the milk and ice cream. Add in the chocolate covered pretzels and a little more of the salted caramel drizzle, and puree until the pretzels are well incorporated, but there are still a few pieces here and there that you can scoop up with a spoon.
Carefully pour the milkshake into each glass and chill just just until you’re ready to serve them.
Then it’s just a matter of topping them off with a spoonful of whipped cream and another chocolate covered pretzel and you’ve got yourself a creamy, delicious dessert!
Chocolate Covered Pretzel and Salted Caramel Milkshakes
Author: Marisa Guerra
Salted Caramel Drizzle
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Combine the sugar, salt, and water in a nonstick sauce pan and heat over medium high heat for about 6-8 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally, but not stirring it.
- Once the caramel turns a light amber brown color, turn the heat down to medium low and carefully pour the heavy cream into the mixture. Stir continuously for about 3 minutes or so until it has thickened slightly.
- Transfer to a heat proof bowl and set aside.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- Combine heavy cream and sugar in a medium sized bowl. Mix on medium-high with a handheld or stand mixer until somewhat stiff peaks have formed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use, slightly whisking before using if need be.
- 4-5 scoops of ice cream
- ¾ cup milk or almond milk
- 10-15 chocolate covered pretzels
- About 3 tbsp salted caramel drizzle
- Puree ice cream and milk in a blender for 10 seconds until thick and creamy.
- Add chocolate covered pretzels and caramel drizzle and blend for 10-15 seconds.
- Drizzle salted caramel into two tall glasses.
- Pour milkshake into each glass and chill until ready to serve.
- Top each milkshake with a spoonful of whipped cream and a chocolate covered pretzel.