Somehow four years have passed since I first started developing recipes for Marisa Bakes! Last year, I celebrated with this Mini Funfetti Cake for One, but this year I thought it would be fun to make a Giant Sugar Cookie to celebrate because what’s better than having a giant cookie all to yourself?
I’m talking about those large sugar cookies that are covered in sprinkles and have a cake-like texture when you break them apart. It’s light and fluffy, and each bite has a nice crunch from the sprinkles. You’ll want it all for yourself.
This Giant Sugar Cookie is really simple and easy to make. The trick is to keep your oven at a lower temperature than normal. By preheating it to 250 degrees, you slowly bake the cookie so that it is firm on the outside, but still slightly soft on the inside.
Also, did I mention that it’s a one bowl recipe? It comes together really quickly! To get started, you’ll blend together the butter and sugar in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or with a handheld mixer until it’s combined.
Next add in the egg and vanilla extract, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Now you just need to add in the flour, baking powder, and salt, mixing on low just until combined.
Now, let’s talk sprinkles really quickly. I chose jimmies because I love that they have a good crunch, but still soften slightly when baked. You can use nonpareils or even quins if you prefer!
Form the dough into a giant ball and spread out the sprinkles on a small plate. Carefully press the dough ball into the sprinkles, making sure to shake the plate as you go to redistribute the sprinkles. Continue this until the top of the dough is fully covered in sprinkles.
Place ball of dough on a parchment lined baking sheet. Press it down slightly so it is about 4 1/2 inches in diameter.
Bake for 40 minutes until it is firm around the edges. Once baked, it will expand to about 7 1/2 inches.
Once your cookie is baked, place the cookie sheet on a cooling rack and allow it to cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing it and taking a bite!!
Giant Sugar Cookie
This Giant Sugar Cookie is light and fluffy with a soft, cake-like texture. The colorful sprinkles make it extra fun and even give it a slightly crunch with each bite. Slice it up or break it apart into pieces, but either way you’ll want it all to yourself.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 1 giant cookie 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 250º.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or with a handheld mixer, blend together the butter and sugar on medium speed until combined.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- With the mixer on low, add in the flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix just until combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and form the dough into a giant ball.
- Spread out sprinkles on a small plate and carefully press dough ball into sprinkles, shaking the plate as you go to redistribute the sprinkles. Continue this until the top of the dough is fully covered in sprinkles.
- Place ball of dough on a parchment lined baking sheet. Press it down slightly so that it is about 4 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 40 minutes until it is firm around the edges. Once baked, it will expand to about 7 1/2 inches.
- Transfer cookie sheet to a cooling rack and let cookie cool for at least 15 minutes.
Keywords: giant, sugar, cookie, sprinkles, funfetti