Today marks the third anniversary of my first blog post on Marisa Bakes, and I knew I wanted to celebrate with a fun and colorful recipe perfect for any sort of celebration. And what better way to celebrate than with a mini funfetti cake all for yourself?!
Yep, you heard that right! A mini funfetti cake that’s all yours. A Mini Funfetti Cake for One! But if you’re feeling generous, you can share too!
I designed this recipe so that it’s easy to make and super simple. That way once you decide you want funfetti cake, you can have one ready to eat in about an hour.
Now let’s talk sprinkles. I recommend using jimmies, which are the longer sprinkles. You can usually find them at the grocery store in the baking section. They are the best option for even distribution throughout the cake without too much color bleeding as opposed to nonpareils, quins, or any sort of sanding sugar. I’ve baked this cake with these sprinkles and these sprinkles. I liked the way these sprinkles were the best so I ended up using them in the end, but any kind of jimmies should work!
To get started, you’ll mix together melted butter, sugar, and oil. You can use a whisk, but I recommend breaking our your hand mixer to ensure you don’t overmix the batter. Next add in the egg white and vanilla and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Now you can add in the flour, baking powder, salt, and milk and mix on low until it is almost combined. Add in the sprinkles and mix a little more just until it is combined.
Now you’re ready to go! Pour the batter in a 9.5 oz ramekin coated with baking spray. If you would rather make two smaller cakes, you can also use two 4 oz ramekins. Pop the cake in the preheated oven.
Once the cakes are finished baking, let them cool for at least 10 minutes. You can either leave them in the ramekins or carefully take them out. If you decide to take them out, gently run a knife around them once they have cooled and flip them out onto a baking sheet or plate and then turn them upright onto another baking sheet or plate.
You can eat the cake as is because it’s delicious, but if you want to take it to the next level, you’re now ready to add some sort of topping. I chose to top this little cake off with a super easy small batch of whipped cream, but you can also use your favorite frosting or even a scoop of ice cream. There are a lot of options!
Gently frost the top of your cake and top it off with some more sprinkles. Now it’s time to dig in!
Mini Funfetti Cake for One
What better way to celebrate a special occasion than with a mini funfetti cake for one?! This recipe is super simple. Top it off with homemade whipped cream, your favorite frosting, or even ice cream! The possibilities are truly endless.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 1 to 2 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp sprinkles, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix butter, sugar, and oil on medium speed until combined.
- Add egg white and vanilla and continue to mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, and milk and mix on low until almost combined.
- Add sprinkles and continue to mix just until combined, being careful to not over mix.
- Carefully pour batter into one 9.5 oz (or two 4 oz) ramekin that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake cake for 25-28 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes on a cooling rack before gently running a knife along the edge of the ramekin, topping the cake with another cooling rack and turning it out. Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
- Combine heavy cream and sugar in a medium sized bowl. Mix on medium-high with a handheld or stand mixer until somewhat stiff peaks have formed. Gently spread the frosting on the top of the cake and top with more sprinkles.
Keywords: funfetti, mini, cake, small batch