As of last week, fall is officially here, and I’m so ready for all of the pumpkins, scarf wearing, and pie making that comes with it.
Not to mention, one of the best excuses for baking (as if I need another) is that it’s chilly outside and what better way to warm up than with homemade scones or some delicious cookies? Just the sound of it makes me want to curl up with a good book or a classic movie while something bakes away in the oven.
If you’re looking to really get into the spirit of fall and have your kitchen smell like it too, then this cake is the perfect thing to whip up. It’s a simple recipe that combines cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves, all of the spices that make up “pumpkin spice,” and blends them into a delicious and tender cake.
Add a few layers of cream cheese frosting and it’s the perfect compliment to the delicious pumpkin flavor!
I decided to make a three layer 6 inch cake, but this recipe can also be used to make a two layer 8 inch cake as well, depending on what size pans you have.
Pumpkin Spice Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Author: Marisa Guerra
- 3 cups flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cloves
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices and set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the butter until smooth. Add in the sugar and oil.
- Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl with your spatula as needed.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Gently add pumpkin puree on low, scraping down the bowl as needed to ensure it is fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into pans and bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes on a cooling rack before gently running a knife along the edge of each pan, topping the cake with another cooling rack and turning each cake out. Let cakes cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in spoonfuls of confectioners sugar.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix until light and fluffy.
- Once your cake layers have cooled, carefully cut the tops off with a serrated knife so that each layer is level.
- Place one layer, top side down, on a cake board and spread with frosting. Repeat this step with the next layer.
- Apply a crumb coat, or a thin layer of frosting, around the cake and chill for 20-25 minutes.