Milkshakes are one of my favorite things to make when it’s hot outside, and I have been dreaming up all kinds of milkshake recipes lately. I love coconut, and one of my favorite things to pair with it is chocolate, which led to the creation of these Chocolate Coconut Milkshakes.
They’re super simple and easy to make. The base of the milkshake is chocolate ice cream, and the coconut flavor comes from both coconut milk and shredded coconut. I decided to use sweetened shredded coconut in the milkshake to compliment the chopped chocolate. That way you can use your spoon to scoop up delicious spoonfuls of coconut and chocolate together!
The milkshake gets topped off with toasted coconut chips to help balance out the sweetened coconut that is in the milkshake. All you need to do is spread the coconut chips out on a parchment lined baking sheet and toast them in the oven for a few minutes. They’ll take on a sort of nutty flavor and they also make a great snack.
To get started on the milkshake, pull out your blender and fill it with your chocolate ice cream and coconut milk. Let this blend for a few seconds before adding in the chopped chocolate and sweetened shredded coconut and blending slightly more.
Now all you need to do is pour it into a few glasses, top it off with some whipped cream, and sprinkle a few toasted coconut chips on top!
Chocolate Coconut Milkshakes
Author: Marisa Guerra
- 4-5 scoops of chocolate ice cream
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp chopped bittersweet chocolate
- About 2 tbsp of coconut chips
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Place coconut chips on a parchment lined baking sheet and toast for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- Puree ice cream and milk in a blender for 10 seconds until thick and creamy.
- Add sweetened shredded coconut and chopped chocolate and blend for another 10-15 seconds.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- Combine heavy cream and sugar in a medium sized bowl. Mix on medium-high with a handheld or stand mixer until somewhat stiff peaks have formed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use, slightly whisking before using if need be.
- Pour milkshake into two tall glasses and chill until ready to serve.
- Top each milkshake with a spoonful of whipped cream and toasted coconut chips.