I dreamt up the recipe for these Chocolate Coconut Cookies when I was craving a fudgy cookie with just a hint of coconut. These cookies hit the spot with their fudgy center and their sugary, toasted coconut tops.
Dipping each cookie in sweetened coconut followed by sugar gives them a slightly crunchy texture because of the way the coconut toasts in the oven.
To get started, whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl while you blend together the sugar and butter in a stand mixer. Once the butter mixture is smooth, add in one egg at a time, followed by the vanilla.
Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl before adding in the dry ingredients and mixing just until combined. Then pop the whole bowl in the fridge for about 10 minutes. Once the dough has had a chance to chill, use a 2 tbsp scoop to form the dough into balls and place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
It’s important that you make sure to roll each cookie in the coconut before rolling it in the sugar. Some of the coconut will fall off when you roll it in sugar, but doing it in this order helps ensure that the coconut will stick and add just enough sugar to the outside of the cookie.
Next you just need to pop them into the oven to bake and give them about 10 minutes to cool on the cookie sheet before transferring them to a cookie rack. Enjoy their fudgy taste and sugary coating.
Chocolate Coconut Cookies
These cookies hit the spot with their fudgy center and their sugary, toasted coconut tops.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup sweetened coconut for topping
- 3 tbsp sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture and mix until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Place the bowl of dough in the fridge and chill it for about 10 minutes.
- Using a 2 tbsp scoop, form cookies into balls and place each cookie on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Once all cookies have been formed, roll each in coconut before rolling them in sugar and placing them back on the parchment a few inches apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies are firm around the edges and the coconut is slightly toasted on top.
- Let the cookies cool for about 10 minutes on the baking sheet before carefully moving them to a cooling rack.
This recipe makes about 16 cookies using a 2 tbsp sized scoop.