- 3 cups flour, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- ¾ cup heavy cream, plus 1 tbsp for topping
- ½ cup Grade A Dark Color maple syrup
- sparkling white sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the heavy cream and maple syrup in a small bowl and chill.
- Add butter to the flour mixture and blend together with a pastry blender or your hands until the butter pieces are no bigger than the size of a pea.
- Pour the cream mixture into the flour mixture and stir until it begins to come together.
- Gently knead the dough together while it is still in the bowl to make sure it is fully combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and lightly sprinkle with more flour.
- Using your hands, form the dough into a circle that is about an inch or so high. Cut the dough into 8 even wedges and spread the wedges out evenly on a parchment covered cookie sheet.
- Carefully brush the tops of each scone with a light layer of heavy cream and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the sides and bottoms are lightly browned.